Custom Search

Monday, June 28, 2010

Life shift, everything coming into place

So it has been a long time in the making, but I am finally free from the corporate bonds that were holding our family back from being free to explore..as a family.  For the past year or so Sadie would ask why I continue to work a job I don't like when I always talk about doing what you love, and follow your interests.  I knew it always felt hypocritical, but all I could respond with is that "daddy needs to work this job in order for us to have the things we have."

We came to realize that I don't need to be a slave to a job I don't like because we found we actually don't "need" all the "things" we have.  Sarah and I started downsizing our possessions over the course of the last year (sold a car, stopped buying the latest gadgets, getting things we needed from free cycle or second hand shops).  I can remember not too long ago when we would just go to the store to buy anything we needed brand new and how much money gets thrown away like that.  We decided in order for us to all be free, and for me to get out of this job, we needed to make changes.  Turns out, it really isn't that hard.....

About 4 months ago, it became clear to me that my job was going to be outsourced, and that my time to be let go by my employer of 12 years was going to come to fruition.  I could not have been happier.  No, seriously....  We put a plan in motion that included selling our home, buying a 39 foot Class A RV, selling our possessions (minus what we are taking in the RV and a car to tow behind it), and finding online teaching jobs at a few Universities to provide income while our family travels the country. 

The day arrived a few weeks ago when those of us who were being let go would be asked to come to an office one by one to be delivered the news.  I had a literal hop in my step as I got the nod because I knew what we had been planning for had come to pass.  My employer made right with a very generous severance package, but unlike most receiving the news, it was exactly what I wanted....more importantly, it was exactly what I needed.  I was burned out, and I need to see and do more with my life.  Sarah and I have decided we are not going to wait until we are old and retired to see all their is to see in this world, and why should our kids have to wait to see it either.  Our unschooling mentality makes this a perfect fit for them as well.

At this point, we have our RV (we are doing constant daily work to get it fully ready for our travels (replacing flooring, painting, building in bunks for the kids, replacing old TV's, etc.).  Our house is under contract, and we are set to have an estate sale shortly as we approach our closing date.  Things are happening just as they need to.  I can't say how many people upon hearing of our plan say "Wow, I wish I could do that..."  To which I say, "Why can't you?"  It's not a question I really expect an answer from because I know most people will say it just wouldn't be feasible for them for any number of reasons, but the truth is people are often just afraid to try something for fear of failing.  We refuse to live that way.  There is nothing we can't do that we can't back out of down the road if we decide it is not working out.  What we know for certain is that if we don't live without trying and experiencing all we can, we will just miss out on the abundant opportunity that is out there.  I'm not willing to take that chance by clinging to a "safe" suburbia lifestyle.

I hope to be more active posting to the blog once we hit the road.  We are sure to have some amazing stops and things to share.  Here are a few pics of our rig parked at a campsite we took the first weekend.  Once we have the renovations done, I'm going to post a lot of before and after pictures.

Be safe all.  Your head will always try to get in the way, but remember to follow your heart.






3 comments:

  1. YippeeKaiYay!!! I am STOKED! I am envisioning this for us and have begun the great purge of 2010!!! LOL For me, 46 years of schtuff to sift through, for Charlie... well, he still isn't quite there yet... but I figure I can start to purge my stuff now so when he is ready we can move forward faster!
    You rock for posting about all of your adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the great news. I can't wait to see the before and after pics of the rig. Give us a call when you hit the road so we can meet up and become insta-neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Utterly awesome! Can't wait to follow you all as this amazing adventure unfolds, and I love your new righteous ride!

    ReplyDelete