Custom Search

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Free from corporate slavery

On an administrative note, I have retitled my blog accordingly. :-)

So this week, my job of 12 years came to an end and I couldn't be happier.  I have longed for this day to come as our family looks to embark on new adventures.  It is hard to describe how freeing it is to know I am not confined to a 6x6 prison cell every Mon-Fri for the rest of my adult life, living for the weekends and the occassional vacation trips.  I have refused to accept this as the "only way" to live. 

Our family has been cutting back expenses and material things for months now and we now just need for our house to sell. (Turns out we don't need a Lamborgini, golden toilet seats, and other excessive items).  Once that is complete we can set sail around the country in our Class A Diesel Pusher Rig and see and do so many new things.  This is not only a great opportunity for our kids to learn about things, it is a great way for Sarah and I as adults to learn about things we might not otherwise have a chance to be exposed to.



For those wondering how we might fund our adventures, it is really about getting creative.  Figure out what you have to offer and how you can do it remotely/online, etc. etc.  For me, I will be facilitating some online college courses asynchronously at a few different Universities.  (On a side note, this is the first time I can actually point to having my Master's degree as having any value other than extra insulation on my office wall).  Sarah continues her hard work on publishing her magazine as well as her Humans Being podcast and blog as other ways to provide enough to cover our reduced expenditures.  Who knows what other creative ways we will find from the road to help pay our way.  It's going to be fun!

The mood around here is one of excitement, although everyone is ready to get started.  And hey, if anyone knows someone in the DFW area looking for an excellent house with an OASIS type backyard, send them our way!  We are highly motivated to sell and strike a deal.

I hope to post more actively once we are on the road and we are out from underneath the weight of home bills.  It will also be a great opportunity to share pictures of our journey and hopefully to meet up with many of you other Freedom loving families.

5 comments:

  1. Big congratulations on your freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, a year ago I would have jumped at the chance to buy your home! Now, I am working on Charlie to ditch the job and sell this house, buy an RV and take to the open road!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on living the dream everyday. Can't wait to read more and see those pics from the road. I wish you and your family great luck and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what did you do in the 6x6, monday through friday? Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete