Custom Search

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Post Discovery Health show thoughts

So our family was featured on the Discovery Health Show "Radical Parenting" last night and I would say overall that I am pleased with the way it was presented.  Although I felt the "experts" really had no basis for their comments other than to create shock value for the show, I think it gave a brief glimpse into our lives.  The notion that somehow our kids would not be ready for the "real world" as indicated by the experts and by some comments I have seen on various posts on Facebook, etc. is just not accurate.  The reality is that our kids already do live in the "Real World".  The world I want for my kids when they become adults is not one where you get sent off somewhere every day to be told what to do, what to learn, and when to learn it.  I wound up in that world as an adult because that is all I knew, and now I am looking to get out of it. They also have the ability on a daily basis to associate with people of different ages, races, and backgrounds because they do not spend all their time associating with kids only of like ages, socio-economic status, etc. that they would be exposed to in school.  It's unfortunate our school systems have not gotten more creative with this (or maybe it's just not viewed as being all that valuable in society).

The beauty of this way of life is it provides a lot of motivation to reflect on yourself.  Am I doing what I want to do?  Am I fullfilled?  We are always learning and growing together in our family.

For those interested in hearing more about the show, including one more scheduled broadcast, see the link on the right side of my blog.


1 comment:

  1. I just thought it may be an idea to post incase anyone else was having problems researching but I am a little unsure if I am allowed to put names and addresses on here. Buy Healthcare Products in india

    ReplyDelete